Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Goodreads

Just a note about Goodreads. Once in a while I used to pop in on reviews of my novellas, usually a friendly comment, but I've stopped doing that. There's been a lot of conversation online over reviews and how authors can sometimes react badly. Even though I don't believe I've ever said anything out of line, I realize that some readers might feel intruded upon when an author pops in. I don't want that! I also realize I don't feel particularly comfortable doing so. I've given up a lot of things I used to do and that authors are told to do to market themselves. It's probably not at all sensible.

I'm a friendly person, and I enjoy talking to people about a lot of things, writing and good books particularly so, but there's this blurred area at some of these review sites where the mingling between author and reader can get uncomfortable. So even though those kinds of interactions have made me a few friends and I love that, well ... I'll just be over here in this corner if I'm needed;)

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! *hugs* I once got accused of "stalking" readers - obviously I misunderstood interaction, I wasn't even challenging anything! - so I keep away now. Big pity, because I like to chat too. I'm not sure how many people are perpetuating the Us/Them thing, but there's enough to make people on both sides feel uncomfortable *sigh*

    Anyway, we know where to find each other! :)

    ReplyDelete